Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Review: Love by Numbers by Sara Donovan

22046635Rating:  ★★★1/2 stars
Date published:
Publisher: AUS Impulse 
Synopsis: What if there was a scientific 7-step formula that triggered your heart into feeling passion? Would you follow it to fall in love with your 'nice guy' bestie - the sensible choice who was actually available? Set in the glittering lower north shore of Sydney, Love by Numbers follows the story of April, a successful HR executive who is in the middle of a serious man drought. To deal with her boredom, she fantasises more than she should about her hot, but uninterested-to-say-the-least office crush, Ryan. When April finally gets Ryan to drinks one night and she watches him fall for her flirtatious house-mate, April decides to never again trust her instinctual 'man-picker'. Her only solution is to rewire her brain, and create passion with the one guy she knows she can trust. This is a story about how far you can go to control your heart's choices, and what happens when you try.
What I Thought:

I absolutely loved the concept of this book based on what I'd read from the blurb and was very excited to read this book.  I also loved the cover and thought it was pretty. Unfortunately, this is one of the few times a book hasn't met or surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed most of the book but was more than a little confused when it was all over.

I liked April.  I understood she'd had her heart broken more than once and was just looking to find love and keep her heart safe.  I thought the concept she came up with and implemented was brilliant but not fool proof.  I didn't ever fully like her romance with her best guy friend, Nathan.  I guess that's because I was never sure she really liked him of if he was over Holly enough to be with April.

In all honestly, the relationships drove me nuts.  I didn't understand why April was so hung up on Ryan.  I didn't know why Holly had to try to get with the all the men in April's life.  The only relationship I did understand was the one April had with her father.  It wasn't ideal but they were working towards a healthier relationship.  I also didn't see the ending coming.  It's like the book changed direction and never found its way back.

Sara Donovan's writing has promise.  I read this book quickly and enjoyed most of what I read.  I'll be keeping an eye out for her next book. 



Purchase Links:


* A copy was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.  All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for them in any manner.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

About